When trying to choose amongst the myriad of sunscreen products available on the market today, how do you know if you are buying the best sunscreen to suit your needs? We often just walk into our local pharmacy and buy whatever is appealing. But in choosing the best sunscreens, there really are several things to consider:
1. Is the formulation photostable? Photostability means that the products sun protection capability will not degrade over time. Most sunscreens need to be reapplied after only a couple of hours, even without perspiring or exposure to water because they degrade upon exposure to sunlight. The best sunscreens maintain their efficacy over time.
2. Does the product feel good on your skin? You won’t want to feel as if you’ve covered yourself in some horrible greasy ointment. The best sunscreens on the market will be easy to apply and feel light on your skin, something like Anthelios XL SPF 60.
3. Does the product offer UVA plus UVB protection – We know that UVB rays are responsible for sunburns and suntans, but did you know that the sun’s UVA rays contribute to more long term damage like wrinkles, sun damage, age spots and some types of skin cancers? The best sunscreens will deliver protection from UVA and UVB rays.
4. Do the ingredients truly work? The best sunscreens will contain effective ingredients that deliver protection. Look for products that contain Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL or Tinasorb. These ingredients offer proven unsurpassed protection against UVA rays and can be found in products including the Anthelios line by La Roche Posay, Ombrelle by L’Oreal and Photoderm Max by Bioderma. These ingredients will often be combined with other active ingredients like titanium dioxide, avobenzone and octocrylene to deliver unparalleled sun protection.
5. Does the sunscreen contain a minimum of SPF 30 protection? Most dermatologists and skin care experts agree that a minimum of SPF 30 should be applied to afford skin best sun protection. The best sunscreens ines will offer at least SPF 30 formulations and as high as SPF 60.
Best sunscreens include the Anthelios line by La Roche Posay and Ombrelle by L’Oreal. Both lines meet the above 5 criteria and can be purchased from quality pharmacies throughout Canada and worldwide.