How do you know if you are choosing the best sunblock available? UVA protection, UVB protection, high spf, low spf, non-greasy, water resistant, water proof – the choices are endless. So you need to look for several criteria.
The best sunblocks will offer the following:
1. Photostability – meaning that the sun protection capability will not degrade over time. Most sunblocks need to be reapplied after only a couple of hours because they degrade upon exposure to sunlight. The best sunblocks will not do that.
2. Non-greasy texture – The best sunblocks on the market will be easy to apply and feel light on your skin. After all, you don’t want to feel as if you’ve applied a thick layer of petroleum jelly to you skin.
3. UVA plus UVB protection – most sunscreens on the market today offer only UVB protection. And while that will protect you from sunburns and suntans, you won’t get the UVA protection that will protect your skin from sun damage, wrinkles, age spots and some types of cancers. The best sunblocks will deliver protection from UVA and UVB rays.
4. Effective ingredients – The best sunblocks will contain ingredients that stand up. Look for products that contain Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL or Tinasorb. These ingredients offer proven unsurpassed protection against UVA rays and can be found in products including the Anthelios line by La Roche Posay, Ombrelle by L’Oreal and Photoderm Max by Bioderma.
5. A minimum of SPF 30 – most dermatologists and skin care experts agree that a minimum of SPF 30 should be applied to afford skin best sun protection. The best sunblock lines will offer at least SPF 30 formulations and as high as SPF 60.
Best sunblocks include the Anthelios line by La Roche Posay and Ombrelle by L’Oreal. Both lines meet the above 5 criteria and can be purchased from quality pharmacies throughout Canada and worldwide.